The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild
LoZ meets Assassin's Creed meets - what now?
Just today I bought the new Nintendo Switch and there was only one viable choice of a first game for me:
The new Legend of Zelda.
I went in completely blind, not even knowing about any promised features other than a more open world than ever in a LoZ game. I was not disappointed.
From all I've seen so far, the world is big enough to allow (speaking for myself) at least a hundred hours of exploration. While I was getting comfortable with the controls of the Switch's pretty tiny controllers, I noticed the following cool features:
- Climbing like in assassin's creed. Just with stamina meter.
- Fire behaves like it should -> it sets stuff ablaze!
- Tons of weapons to choose from and collect - so far all of them had some kind of health meter and would eventually break
- Better physics system than the previous games, and power-ups using it to the fullest
- Great use of the gyro sensors in the controllers
- Some frame drops were occurring, but nothing game-breaking
- The left controller disconnected once in 2-3hours of gameplay for about 2 seconds. Not sure if it will turn out to be a huge problem in the future
That's all the impressions I could collect thus far, and most of them were exceptionally pleasant. Note that these "insights" only count for the Switch version, I did not play the Wii U version, nor do I plan to.